© Slater4 Ltd and Avening Parish Council 2020
Avening Parish Council
Welcome to the Avening Parish Council website Avening is a village dating back to the Saxon period. Located in a wooded valley two miles north of the town of Tetbury, in medieval times it grew around the church and later around the mills that were built for the wool industry.  The Norman Church of the Holy Cross, consecrated in 1080, replaced an earlier Saxon church, and was built at the instigation of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror.  Much of the present character of Avening originated in the 17th century with the development of the cloth mills and the cottage industries connected with them. The cloth industry was a major factor in the growth of Avening until well into the 19th century, giving it an industrial rather than agricultural outlook. Avening has a population of over 1000, making it the largest village in the South Cotswolds. It is a lively, active community, with a thriving primary school and playgroup, many other groups such as the youth club, WI and film club, a village hall, social club, two public houses, a playing field, a monthly magazine called The Villager and a golf club just outside the village.
Your Parish Council
We are here to Preserve, Conserve and Enhance the Parish of Avening. We can’t do this alone, and encourage everyone to join us in our work to make Avening a great place to live, work and play.  
The public are welcome at our meetings
We meet on the third Wednesday every month  at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall.  Check our Minutes pages to see the types of things we discuss, and also the agenda for the next meeting.
Clerk to the Parish Council Shani Baker, 14 Green Close, Uley, Dursley GL11 5TH TEL. 07415039234 (office hours only)
History pages  We have started to build a single repository for all of the historic documents and photos that have been collected and donated to us.  This will build into a fantastic resource for everyone to access, and will build over time - the first page brings together all the census information from 1831 to 1911 - click here to start exploring.
  Information for NEW RESIDENTS All the key information needed for people who have recently moved to Avening is here
Gloucestershire Life article - 1974  Click here
Crowdfunding / Calor Grant Application for Avening Play Park Zipwire Our Crowdfunder Project is now live! and can be accessed during the Supporting Period (4 June – 16 July) through the following link:  https://communityfund.calor.co.uk/avening-playing-field The Parish Council has applied for a grant of £5,000 from the 2020 Calor Gas Rural Community Fund to seek funding towards a new zipwire for the Play Park. The total amount we need is £8,000.  Calor is working with Crowdfunder Ltd and will use the amount of public support received against the crowdfunder project to determine which projects go forward as finalists.  This will be done on a points system – 1 point for a “like” or “share” and 10 points for each pledge (but note that each user may only support a project once). Please visit our Calor project and click on one of the buttons at the foot of the page – either “like/share” or if you are feeling generous “pledge” to help us get points for our grant application and raise funds for the zipwire. The more points the better, so please also share the link to friends and relatives. Many Thanks
Join the July PC meeting via Zoom - See agenda for details Online in full colour Last few days - pledges must be complete by 15th July
Welcome to the Avening Parish Council website Avening is a village dating back to the Saxon period. Located in a wooded valley two miles north of the town of Tetbury, in medieval times it grew around the church and later around the mills that were built for the wool industry.  The Norman Church of the Holy Cross, consecrated in 1080, replaced an earlier Saxon church, and was built at the instigation of Queen Matilda, wife of William the Conqueror.  Much of the present character of Avening originated in the 17th century with the development of the cloth mills and the cottage industries connected with them. The cloth industry was a major factor in the growth of Avening until well into the 19th century, giving it an industrial rather than agricultural outlook. Avening has a population of over 1000, making it the largest village in the South Cotswolds. It is a lively, active community, with a thriving primary school and playgroup, many other groups such as the youth club, WI and film club, a village hall, social club, two public houses, a playing field, a monthly magazine called The Villager and a golf club just outside the village.
Avening Parish Council
Avening Parish Council
The public are welcome at our meetings
The public are welcome at our meetings
We meet on the third Wednesday every month  at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall.  Check our Minutes pages to see the types of things we discuss, and also the agenda for the next meeting.
We meet on the third Wednesday every month  at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall.  Check our Minutes pages to see the types of things we discuss, and also the agenda for the next meeting.
Primary Contact - The Parish Clerk: Primary Contact - The Parish Clerk: Email: Email:  parishclerk@avening-pc.gov.uk  parishclerk@avening-pc.gov.uk
Your Parish Council
History pages  We have started to build a single repository for all of the historic documents and photos that have been collected and donated to us.  This will build into a fantastic resource for everyone to access, and will build over time - the first page brings together all the census information from 1831 to 1911 - click here to start exploring.
Shani Baker, 14 Green Close, Uley, Dursley GL11 5TH TEL. 07415039234 (office hours only)
NEW: Information for new residents All the key information needed for people who have recently moved to Avening is here
Gloucestershire Life article - 1974  Click here
Crowdfunding / Calor Grant Application for Avening Play Park Zipwire Our Crowdfunder Project is now live! and can be accessed during the Supporting Period (4 June – 16 July) through the following link:  https://communityfund.calor.co.uk/avening-playing-field The Parish Council has applied for a grant of £5,000 from the 2020 Calor Gas Rural Community Fund to seek funding towards a new zipwire for the Play Park. The total amount we need is £8,000.  Calor is working with Crowdfunder Ltd and will use the amount of public support received against the crowdfunder project to determine which projects go forward as finalists.  This will be done on a points system – 1 point for a “like” or “share” and 10 points for each pledge (but note that each user may only support a project once). Please visit our Calor project and click on one of the buttons at the foot of the page – either “like/share” or if you are feeling generous “pledge” to help us get points for our grant application and raise funds for the zipwire. The more points the better, so please also share the link to friends and relatives. Many Thanks
Online in full colour