© Avening Parish Council 2024

Avening Memorial Hall

Our village school occupies the hall between 8am and 6pm on weekdays during term time. Outside of these hours the hall is available to rent for parties, events and meetings. To enquire about availability or to make a booking, please call or email our bookings secretary (see Contact details).

History

The village hall was designed by Thomas Falconer, a member of the Arts and Crafts movement in the Cotswolds, built on land given by various members of the public where once a couple of cottages had stood, and finally conveyed to the Parish Council in January 1922. The cost was around £2000, raised by public subscription. The hall is situated next to the school and is a large building of about 74 feet in length with a steep natural Cotswold stone tiled roof. Its declared aims are “for the purpose of a Public Reading and Recreation Hall for the Parishioners of the Parish of Avening and in memory of those who were killed in action during the Great War”. It had been suggested in 1919 that a memorial to “our brave boys” should take the shape of a village hall where their names would be seen every time the village had an occasion to use the hall. The memorial tablet with the names of the 42 World War One dead and the 10 from World War Two is located in a niche above the front doors of the hall, but was only installed in 2010, when two missing names were also added to the tablet in the church. Since then it has been used for everything from Physical Culture classes in 1925, Infant Welfare, Men’s Club, meetings for the Scouts, to the Women’s Institute down to today when it is largely used as an overflow for the school during weekdays and continues as a community venue in the evenings. Since 1921 it has been extended by a flat-roofed room to the south called the Chamberlain Room, built in 1978 in memory of Mr Chamberlain, who lived in the village and had given a substantial sum of money for this purpose. The hall has recently been repaired and refurbished to celebrate its 100th anniversary.

Memorial Hall Contact:

David Bendall email: davidgloucestershire@gmail.com Tel: 01453 833479
Supported by Avening Parish Council

Hall rental costs

Charges   Full  Day   Bookings *   –   9am to 5pm   £1 6   per hour   (max £120)   Evening bookings  –   5pm to 11pm   £16 per hour   (max £90)   Serving Alcohol**   £30   Use of Bouncy Castle   £ 2 0   Use of entertainment eqpt.   Included   Refundable deposit   £50   for one off or  non - village   bookings Avening Memorial Hall
* Set up & clear up on adjacent days at discretion of booking secretary and subject to availability. ** Any additional license costs are the responsibility of the hirer.

Terms and conditions:

There are a few simple rules to observe when hiring the hall - please click ‘more info’ to view/download
MORE INFO
© Avening Parish Council 2024

Avening Memorial Hall

Our village school occupies the hall between 8am and 6pm on weekdays during term time. Outside of these hours the hall is available to rent for parties, events and meetings. To enquire about availability or to make a booking, please call or email our bookings secretary (see Contact details).

History

The village hall was designed by Thomas Falconer, a member of the Arts and Crafts movement in the Cotswolds, built on land given by various members of the public where once a couple of cottages had stood, and finally conveyed to the Parish Council in January 1922. The cost was around £2000, raised by public subscription. The hall is situated next to the school and is a large building of about 74 feet in length with a steep natural Cotswold stone tiled roof. Its declared aims are “for the purpose of a Public Reading and Recreation Hall for the Parishioners of the Parish of Avening and in memory of those who were killed in action during the Great War”. It had been suggested in 1919 that a memorial to “our brave boys” should take the shape of a village hall where their names would be seen every time the village had an occasion to use the hall. The memorial tablet with the names of the 42 World War One dead and the 10 from World War Two is located in a niche above the front doors of the hall, but was only installed in 2010, when two missing names were also added to the tablet in the church. Since then it has been used for everything from Physical Culture classes in 1925, Infant Welfare, Men’s Club, meetings for the Scouts, to the Women’s Institute down to today when it is largely used as an overflow for the school during weekdays and continues as a community venue in the evenings. Since 1921 it has been extended by a flat-roofed room to the south called the Chamberlain Room, built in 1978 in memory of Mr Chamberlain, who lived in the village and had given a substantial sum of money for this purpose. The hall has recently been repaired and refurbished to celebrate its 100th anniversary.

Memorial Hall

Contact:

David Bendall email: davidgloucestershire@g mail.com Tel: 01453 833479
Avening Memorial Hall

Hall rental costs

* Set up & clear up on adjacent days at discretion of booking secretary and subject to availability. ** Any additional license costs are the responsibility of the hirer.

Terms and conditions:

There are a few simple rules to observe when hiring the hall - please click ‘more info’ to view/download
MORE INFO